Sunday, September 22, 2013

Day #5 with Braces

I'm gradually getting used to the feeling of braces in my mouth.  It still feels weird when I talk and I'm surprised to say that it still hurts to chew.  I'm still eating soft foods (pancakes are really easy to chew and filling) and taking ibuprofen.  Flossing is a gigantic pain.  I am definitely going to get a waterpik water flosser!

So I'm a little irritated by what happened at the orthodontist's office when I got the braces put on. As soon as I walked in the door, the ortho assistant lady took me into the back, took X-rays and started cleaning my teeth for the braces application.  I need to mention here that I still needed my "before" photos (without braces) taken.  When I went in for my (second) initial consultation in July 2013 (when they are supposed to take the before photos) they told me they would just do everything when I scheduled my first appointment for getting the braces put on.  I think the reason they said this was because they took photos at my first initial consultation in 2010 and then I never made my next appointment to get braces on.  I think they were waiting to make sure I was serious this time before taking more photos again.  If that was their reasoning then fine, I understand.

I never said anything about this at my appt on Wednesday partially because I was having huge anxiety about the whole experience and partially because I figured at some point they would do it.  Never happened. Next thing I know I was checking out and making my follow up appointment.  They desk lady said I was all set to go.  I had to bring it to her attention that I never paid for anything yet and hadn't turned in any of my signed papers (privacy statement, payment agreement, informed consent, etc).  At this point I also explained that I needed updated "before" photos taken as the current "before" photos in my file were from my first initial consultation which was from 2010.  Instead of asking anybody about it right then while I was there, she said she would put a note in my chart.  OK.  So  I left.  10 mins later a get a call from the office telling me sorry but I do need to come back in to get updated "before" photos taken. So now I have to go in again at 7:30am before work to have these done when I was already there and asked about it.  Grrr! 

I just feel like there was an entire step in the process missing.  I should have sat down with my treatment coordinator for 5 mins before everything started and arranged payment (there were multiple payment plans for me to pick from), turn in paperwork and then have time to get these photos taken.  Kind of disappointed by this because now my before pics will be in braces.   

No comments:

Post a Comment