Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Getting Braces

I couldn't sleep last night.  I wasn't so much worried about the braces themselves, but more that it is the first step towards surgery and I am still afraid of that.

My appointment was at 7:15am and I soon as I walked in the office and sat down, they called me to the back. They took some x-rays then started the process of applying braces.  I got Damon Clear.

Getting the braces put on didn't hurt at all. I was actually a little surprised.  But they feel WEIRD. I have never had braces before but I was really not expecting them to feel so odd.  Since I have an open bite it is hard for me to close my mouth to begin with, but now with the braces in there, it is even harder to force my lips shut around them.  Just a really awkward feeling.  I'm starting to wonder what I got myself into...I already want to take them off... :-/

I didn't really eat today.  I tried to eat some mac n cheese for lunch and it hurt really bad to chew.  It took me so long to finish that they got cold.  I had scrambled eggs for dinner, they were much softer and easier to eat.

Talking is strange.  I feel like I am talking funny, but everyone says I sound normal.  I also feel like everyone is looking at my mouth.  I am very self conscious about these.  It is hard to smile, my lip gets stuck on them when I smile.  Ugh....

I have been taking ibuprofen throughout the day for the pain.  It is sore and tender feeling.

Here's a pic with the braces on.  I'm not totally biting down here, but almost, so it is pretty open.

No comments:

Post a Comment